Tuesday 30 July 2019

Monster Memories: “It will ruin the carpet!” Legacy of the MOTU Slime Pit

The Slime Pit, an “Evil pit of gruesome ooze” was a play set from 1986 that formed a part of Mattel’s highly successful Masters of the Universe toy line. Designed by toy designer Ted Mayer, the Slime Pit utilised a component that not only assured this toy a success but also set a trend that would last for years to come, something that Mattel had already brought to the toy market back in 1976 -Slime!  
Hordak (“Ruthless Leader of the Evil Horde”) would lock his victim inside the ‘pit’ by means of the bony clawed hand at the bottom as the container of Evil Horde Slime (sold separately) would be poured into the back of the large skull suspended at the top. The slime would then proceed to slowly ooze out of the mouth and onto the victim supposedly brainwashing said the victim to do Hordak’s evil bidding! With its heady mix of slime, claws, zombification and dinosaur skulls this thing looked amazing and 7 year old me wanted one, catalogue in hand I asked my mother if I could have it, after a rather lengthy presentation as to why this toy was amazing she replied, “no, it will ruin the carpet!” my heart sank, a fear that the carpet would be ruined was a recurring theme in our newly refurbished home and effectively marked the end of most toy requests.  
Undeterred I had another plan though; I thought I would just bypass my mother and go straight to the main man himself, Santa Clause but this proved fruitless, it seemed that he too was fearful of this thing somehow ruining our floor coverings! I gave up and moved on (unsuccessfully requesting a Real Ghostbusters Gooper Ghosts Squisher figure and tub of Real Ghostbusters Ecto-Plazm the following year) until 2019 when I decide it was high time I restored my original Masters of the Universe figure collection and display them in the studio (a future post) and finally get my own Slime Pit!
It arrived and I was delighted with it. The following day work continued on decorating our living room when I suddenly knocked over a can of paint... It took 33 years but my mother’s prophecy that I would ruin the carpet if I got a Slime Pit came true!  I guess mothers really do know best!

The Slime Pit as featured in the 1986 Winter/Autumn Argos catalogue 
along with the equally desirable (carpet friendly) Fright Zone! 
© Arfon Jones 2019. All images are copyrighted throughout the world.

4 comments:

  1. Never mind the slimy stuff, AJ. I want to see your Sugar Puffs/Honey Monster collection. You show me yours and I'll show you mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a deal, in the meantime check out my Monster Munch collection on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/p/BxaQuXiBfYI/

      Delete
    2. Took a look - wouldn't mind having some of them myself.

      Delete
    3. They come up from time to time Kid, I like to think its the only one of its kind... Latest post up, featuring the requested Honey Monster items (the bits we could find anyway) I sincerely hope to get a new cabinet so I can display them with the Monster Munch items, here is the link https://arfonjones.blogspot.com/2019/08/tenth-anniversary-recap-omnibot-your.html :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...